This is the home page for conducting an API lifecycle workshop using this API demo, providing a single landing page attendees can use when navigating the moving parts of this workshop, and come out the other end with a human, and machine readable strategy for executing on the delivery of APIs across any company, organization, institution, or government agency.
This API lifecycle blueprint provides guidance in five distinct areas of the API lifecycle, which can be operated individually for a single API, or in unison across many APIs, helping flesh out a standardized approach to thinking about how APIs are delivered across an organization. This isn't meant to be a one size fits all strategy, but a walk through of what is possible, that can be added to, and customized to make fit the specific needs of an organization.
- Discovery (Jump To) (Presentation) - Knowing where all of your APIs and services are across groups.
- Design (Jump To) (Presentation) - Focus in on an a design and virtualized API lifecycle before deployment.
- Development (Jump To) (Presentation) - Understanding the many ways in which APIs can be deployed.
- Production (Jump To) (Presentation) - Thinking critically about properly operating API infrastructure.
- Governance (Jump To) (Presentation) - Understanding how to measure, report, and evolve API operations.
Not all workshops will cover all of these areas. Depending on the time available, the scope of the team participating in a workshop(s), and how far along teams are in their overall API journey, the workshops might head in different directions, and expand or contract the depth in which we dive into each of these area (ie. not everyone is ready for governance). After several workshops this year, we have found these areas of the API lifecycle to be the most meaningful ways to organize a workshop, and help enterprise group think more critically about their API strategy.
Craft An API Strategy For Your EnterpriseThe purpose of this API lifecycle workshops is to help enterprise organizations develop their own API strategy. Bring in outside API knowledge, learn more about where an enterprise API group is in their overall API journey, and leave them with a structured artifact that helps them step back and look at the entire lifecycle of their APIs. Moving the API conversation across the enterprise forward in a meaningful way with three distinct actions:
- Jumpstart Your API Lifecycle Strategy - This workshop starts with this template API lifecycle strategy in GitHub or GitLab as README, and YAML file. Standing up a framework to consider as you craft your own API strategy, providing a starting point for your journey. Generated from eight years of research on the API space, providing a living document that can be used to execute and evolve the overall API lifecycle strategy for an enterprise organization.
- API Lifecycle Workshop - Conduct a single, or multi-day API lifecycle workshop on-site, with as many enterprise and / or partner stakeholders as possible. We will come on site, and walk teams through each stop along a modern API lifecycle, helping customize, personalize, and make the API strategy better fit the enterprises strategy.
- Evolve Your API Lifecycle Strategy - Coming out of the workshop, you will be given an updated API lifecycle artificat file in YAML, with an outline, and presentation to help navigate. Providing a human and machine readable framework that represents your API lifecycle strategy, helping provide a scaffolding for future discussions. Producing a usable artifact out of the gathering, encapsulating the research and experience we bring to the table, adding what we learned during the workshop, and hopefully continually being used to drive the API strategy road map.
- Continue Answering Your Questions - After the workshop is done, and we have an updated API lifecycle, we are here to support. We can answer questions via the repository we leave an API strategy artifact, as well as email. We are happy to conduct virtual meetings to help check in on where you are at, and of course we are happy to always come back and conduct future workshops as you need.
I am happy to continue the conversation around the API lifecycle artifact we will leave with you. I don’t expect you to use everything we propose. I more more interested in teaching you about what is possible, and continuing to work with you to refine, evolve, and make the API lifecycle your own. We’ve just worked hard to identified many different ways to operating API infrastructure at scale, and continue to help standardize and make it more accessible by large enterprise organizations.
Helping You In Your JourneyUltimately, the API lifecycle strategy we will leave behind, possesses all the knowledge we’ve aggregated across our API research, gathered across leading API providers, and honed by conducting API workshops within enterprise groups. Embedded within this API lifecycle artifact we’ll leave you with some added elements that will help you in your journey, going beyond just advice on process, and helping the rubber meet the road.
- Links - Provide a wealth of references to external resources, attached to each stop along the API lifecycle, bring our API research into your organization, allowing you to put to use inline as you are building your API strategy.
- Services - Embedding links to API services that you are already using, and introducing you to other useful API services along the way. Making sure specific services are associated with each stop along the API lifecycle, across the different areas, and even sub-linking to specific features that can help accomplish a specific aspect of API operations.
- Tooling - Embedding links to open source API tools, specifications, and other solutions that can be used to accomplish a specific aspect of operating an API platform. Brining in open source solutions that can be considered as you are crafting the API strategy for your enterprise organization.
While not all organizations will be ready to use a YAML API lifecycle artifact as part of their API orchestration, it helps to have the API lifecycle well defined, even if many steps are still manual. It helps teams think more critically about how they approach the deliver of APIs, while also being something that can be downloaded, forked, and reused by different groups across the enterprise. Eventually it is something that can be further automated, measured, and used to help quantify the maturity level of each APIs, as well as API across distributed teams.
Let's begin this lifecycle journey with a look at API discovery...